The Director of Systems Engineering has to plan, lead and deliver strategic projects within a Hybrid Fiber Coax (HFC) and Fiber-to-the-Premise (FTTx) Outside Plant Engineering environment. The candidate will be able to demonstrate extensive experience in the management and financial control of complex and inter-dependent projects and programs. The candidate will also have a breadth of HFC/FTTx business understanding including knowledge of the functions involved in Network Design and Engineering, Program Costing, Operations, Bill of materials and General Field Construction practices. The ideal candidate will have exceptional industry understanding and will be able to demonstrate previous success in delivering increased organizational effectiveness and efficiency through process change programs.
Candidate must provide personnel leadership and management of cross-functional teams comprised of multi-disciplined team members. Plan, conduct, and facilitate work in adherence to customer requirements. Provide leadership and mentoring to members of a global staff.
- Manage multiple or complex projects from definition to acceptance, in accordance with company defined processes and procedures.
- Perform planning, tracking, and reporting of program initiatives.
- Maintain project metrics, communicating project status, issues, and requirements both verbally and in writing.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and a knowledge of contract labor and how to maximize personnel to meet project objectives.
- Ability to manage a global workforce: Identify candidates for growth, quickly identify personnel issues and react decisively.
- Coordinate complex project scheduling activities including identifying project task dependencies and resource requirements, and assessing project risks/mitigation strategies.
- Interface with key customers to achieve project goals.
- Responsible for budgeting, capital appropriations, and project cost estimating.
- Work with customer and internal technical resources to complete deployment of projects.
- Conduct project presentations.
- Serve as key escalation point for all technical and customer issues.
- Support sales with growth of the managed services business
- 25%-50% travel and international trips will be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business or Management or equivalent experience.
- 12+ years of Director/Managing leadership experience within the HFC plant and fiber to the home engineering arena.
- 10+ years of working within the HFC Outside plant design-based environment.
- 5+ years of working for a global organization with direct experience of supporting cross cultures.
- Technical aptitude of an HFC Design team and how it functions.
- Standard Office Suite.
- Be able to use current Design Engineering tools as well as understand complex operational designs.
- Process definition and continuous improvement methodologies.
- Understand HFC network design principles, including Hybrid Fiber RF design, FTTx and PON architectures.
- Understand and be able to demonstrate systems engineering in an operational environment.
- Must be able to work within a team both as a leader and as a team member.
- Must have excellent documentation skills.
- Must be able to work within a set department budget.
- Must be able to convey knowledge to customers, peers, and managers of widely diverse skill levels.
- Excellent customer service skills and customer focus.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Passion and drive for technology as a service and business enabler.
- Must be able to work in a highly dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Travel as required.