The IT Systems Specialist is responsible for the maintenance/support of ARRIS’ Linux and Solaris-based enterprise infrastructure to ensure overall availability and reliability. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following: trouble ticket resolution, management and support of Linux based hosts, VMware & virtualized environment support, performance monitoring & analysis, network configuration, troubleshooting. This position will also assist in the management and support of ARRIS’ enterprise backup & storage, Cloud based infrastructure and datacenter environments.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Trouble ticket queue management and ticket resolution.
- Implement, manage and maintain ARRIS’ Linux- and Solaris-based enterprise infrastructure supporting critical business systems.
- Implement, manage and maintain storage solutions (i.e. SAN & NAS) for Linux and VMware environments.
- Identify and investigate system malfunctions: isolate causes of errors due to servers, desktops/laptops, storage, network, cabling, etc…
- Monitor usage, capacity and performance of systems. Tune systems for needs and requirements.
- Liaise with users and vendors to address problems and changes in requirements. Work with vendors to resolve hardware and software issues.
- Maintain system documentation including licensing, hardware and software inventory, security data, user manuals, Visio-style layouts, etc.
- Plan and implement upgrades to IT systems; install and configure hardware and software.
- Assist Sr. Administrators in building servers, clusters and networks from box to the rack
- Ensure systems are properly backed-up; implement backup procedures for disaster recovery purposes.
- Serves as an escalation and primary contact for issues reported by company users.
- Perform other/additional duties and projects as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Must have 0 to 2 years minimum of *Unix Systems Administration or equivalent experience. (New Grads can apply). Exposure to storage technologies, VMware and scripting desirable.
Additional desired skills:
- Linux (UNIX) Administration
- Bash/sh/Perl/shell Scripting
- Base networking skills/protocols (TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP)
- Backup and Recovery method
- Understanding of IP networking and implementation
- Working knowledge of VMware’s vSphere and related technology
- Working knowledge of Microsoft's O365 messaging platforms
- Working knowledge of Veeam platform to implement data backup and disaster recovery strategies
- Working knowledge of high availability scenarios using VMware
- Working knowledge of networking hardware
- Ability to troubleshoot applications in a terminal services or console environment
- Ability to train non-technical employees in complex computer functions
- Displays high level system and network problem solving skills
- Team player who is customer-service oriented
- Well organized self-starter
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to develop project plans and manage accordingly
- Able to work with a culturally diverse user-base
- Ability to maintain confidentiality to protect client’s privacy and proprietary organizational information