The main function of this job is to load and unload innersprings into the baler for packaging. Perform various manual tasks in operation of baling machine to prepare innersprings for shipping. Scheduled time is 2:15pm-10:30pm Mon-Fri.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Check and identify that innersprings match the baling ID tag.
- Place ladders onto the sides of the baler and load innersprings (with partner) 3-5 pieces at a time.
- Insert metal rods into predetermined spots and start baler to begin the compressing process.
- Remove rods once the bale is compressed
- Insert metal banding through rod holes and wrap around the bale using a pneumatic banding tool.
- After all bands are secure, open the baler and push it onto the bale unloader.
- Push the bale onto a handcart and move into a staging area.
- Work closely with VRC operators and Ladder maker
- Interact and work well with baling partner.
- Safe operation of all machinery, tools and equipment.
- Maintain proper housekeeping and safety standards.
- Proper use of personal protective equipment
- Your supervisor will have the authority to ask you to help with additional job assignments as needed.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- May be subject to moderate noise from machines in other departments. Hearing protection is required at all times.
- The temperature in this work area may be in excess of 90 degrees Fahrenheit, during the summer months.
- Work areas are dirty and dusty on a regular basis.
- Bales are under extreme pressure and are extremely dangerous.
- Ensure that ladders are in good condition before using.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Innerspring can weigh from 10-100 lbs. each. Must be able to lift up to 200+ lbs. frequently with partner.
- A team of balers usually produces between 45-60 bales in an eight-hour shift.
- Ability to stand, bend at waist, stretch or reach, walk, and twist frequently.
- Excellent eye/hand coordination is essential.
Frequent lifting of up to 80 lbs.