CommScope is seeking a Materials Development Technician to work full time (40 hours per week) as part of our Materials Advanced Engineering team located currently in our Fuquay-Varina, NC facility but will transition to our new facility in Apex, NC.
The Materials Development Technician will provide laboratory support for the development of new materials and processes used in Telecommunications products.
- Prepare and evaluate experimental material formulations
- Fabricate test specimens and prototypes using experimental materials
- Perform mixing and mechanical experiments
- Document test procedures, collect data and report results
- Write technical summaries and maintain laboratory records of experimental procedures and results
- Assist in designing, developing, modifying and fabricating process & test setups
- Use mechanical, electrical and plumbing concepts & tools as part of regular work
- Completed High School Diploma with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience (5 years preferred) OR a completed associates degree with 1 year of relevant experience (3 years preferred)
- Ability to follow verbal instructions or detailed written procedures accurately
- Ability to operate laboratory and pilot scale processing equipment preferred.
- Hands on experience with laboratory or industrial blending/mixing equipment are a plus
- Ability to operate laboratory and industrial equipment, e.g. small laminating presses, ovens, vacuum ovens etc.
- Perform new materials formulations by carefully combining various components preferred
- Provide input on laboratory scale materials and process development preferred
- Familiarity with good laboratory practices preferred and attention to detail are important.
- Experience in one or more of the following: formulation, mixing, basic mechanical assembly, compounding, physical property testing
- Familiarity with basic prototyping equipment, e.g. bandsaw, drill press, laser cutter, 3D printers, CNC router, etc.
- Ability to document experimental procedures, processes, observations and results
- Computer skills in MS-Excel, Word and Outlook
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
- Industrial or laboratory experience
- Must be a self starter with a desire to learn new skills
- Ability to move quickly among multiple projects as priorities change
- Good communication and time management skills
- Natural curiosity about varied technology and technical things
- Ability to learn and gain new skills on the job
Potentially relevant work and hobby experience:
- Commercial food preparation
- Pharmaceutical compounding
- Biological research/development
- Quality assurance testing
- Auto repair, restoration or customizing
- Crafting, DIY, tinkering