CommScope is seeking a Systems Engineering Intern to join our team in Richardson, TX.
Learn More About Internship Programs at CommScope
As CommScope designs and builds connectivity for the world's most advanced networks, we're building something equally as important: careers for forward-thinking college students like you. Our Summer Internship Program is crafted to provide you an invaluable work experience through completing meaningful projects to help you grow and develop.
Throughout the 12-week program, you will collaborate with some of the best in the industry, receive on the job training and participate in professional development workshops, executive speaker series, and other networking and social events!How You'll Help Us Connect the World
As an Engineering Intern, you will be responsible for the experimental investigation of single-mode and multimode fiber optic links. You will work closely with Inside Plant Fiber - Systems Engineering to investigate and innovate fiber connectivity for 100G, 400G, and 800G data center networks.
- Performing experimental investigations of fiber-optic links
- Working independently
- Preparing data suitable for presentation at industry standards meetings
- Measuring BER, chromatic dispersion, and modal dispersion
- Characterizing temporal, spectral, and spatial aspects of optical transmitters
- Junior or Senior standing in a BS, BA, or graduate student in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Engineering Science, or a related field from an accredited university
- An interest in fiber optic communication systems
- Relevant coursework such as optics, electro-optics, photonics, signal processing, networking, telecommunications, or related
- Confirmed strong academic performer with a minimum GPA of 3.2
- Ability to work in the US without sponsorship now or in the future
- Are a Masters or Ph.D. student
- Have relevant lab experience in an academic or industry environment
- Have knowledge of or experience with any of the following test equipment: BERT, Optical Spectrum Analyzer, Ethernet Tester, Evaluation board, Chromatic Dispersion Analyzer, Variable Optical Attenuator, Optical Power Meter, Oscilloscope, Clock recovery
- Experience with any of the following optical components: Optical fiber, Fiber optic connectors, Optical transceivers, TOSAs and ROSAs, VCSELs, Direct and external modulated lasers
- Are skilled in any of the following software tools: Matlab, Excel, Zemax, OptiSim
- Have a track record of conference or journal publications
- Demonstrate strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
- Show innovation through unique ideas and propose them to the team
CommScope is pushing the boundaries of communications technology. For more than 40 years, we’ve been leaders in innovating 5G, private networks and Gigabit speeds everywhere – we're always anticipating what’s next. Developments such as the Internet of Things, seamless connectivity, Cloud, and 5G introduce new requirements and demand creative thinking. With our unmatched expertise in copper, fiber, and wireless infrastructure, our global clients rely on us to outperform today and be ready for the needs of tomorrow.
It is the policy of CommScope to provide Equal Employment Opportunities to all individuals based on merit, qualifications and abilities. CommScope does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, age or any other characteristics as protected by law. Furthermore, this contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals on the basis of disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities.