Everyone communicates. It’s the essence of the human experience. How we communicate is evolving. Technology is reshaping the way we live, learn and thrive. The epicenter of this transformation is the network—our passion. Our experts are rethinking the purpose, role and usage of networks to help our customers increase bandwidth, expand capacity, enhance efficiency, speed deployment and simplify migration. From remote cell sites to massive sports arenas, from busy airports to state-of-the-art data centers— we provide the essential expertise and vital infrastructure your business needs to succeed. The world’s most advanced networks rely on CommScope connectivity.
The Company – CommScope
Commscope’s Venue and Campus segment incorporates Ruckus Network’s, which focuses on enabling wireless and wired connectivity across complex and varied networks. It offers dedicated engineering and Customer Service and Support resources to our customers across a spectrum of verticals including - hospitality, education, smart cities, government, venues, service providers and more.
A Principal Technical Support Engineer works on complex technical problems confronting large and strategic customers. The Engineer possesses expert knowledge and extensive customer interaction with highly complex problem-solving experience in Wireless 802.1x technology, including extensive hands on experience on Routing/Switching/Security/Data Center Networking. As a primary role, a Principal Technical Support Engineer needs to promptly troubleshoot, isolate the root cause and resolve complex large carriers and enterprise customers’ WIFI issues which require deep dive on Layer 2 protocols and frames and Layer 3 protocols/packets. It is critical to work closely with engineering on log analysis and provide customer and internal management updates to senior technical and business executives. Must work independently with clear judgement on each step of the resolution activities. May be required to work Sun-Thu.
- Responsible for promptly troubleshooting and isolating a root cause and providing a resolution to escalated customer issues.
- Required to interact with the customer in collecting the logs and network data (packets) and analyzing the data in isolating network issues.
- Develop software scripts to automate capturing critical data/logs.
- Replicate customer technical environment in the Support lab to recreate customer issues
- Work closely with engineering in debugging the logs and collect data in isolating SW/HW defects and follow through on delivering a fix to customers in critical situations.
- If required, provide in-person, on-site support to customers who are experiencing major network issues impacting their user experiences. Collaborate with product engineering organization to fix and test critical product defects for resolution.
- Provide on-going regular updates to sales, internal management and the customer on the progress of assigned critical cases.
- Work closely with Support Tools team on the needs of critical troubleshooting and debugging tools that can used by global TSEs, thereby improving efficiency and lowering costs.
- Must have flexibility in work hours to work on customer issues and travel to customer sites if required.
- Ensure client expectations are properly managed and that technical issues are resolved to the client's satisfaction in a timely manner.
- Document customer and engineering interactions and technical action plans.
- Provide necessary updates to management and field teams for high profile technical escalations.
- Assist in development of knowledge articles and troubleshooting guides.
- Provide ongoing coaching and mentoring to Level 2 and Level 3 TSEs.
- Attend regular customer and internal conference calls for high profile cases and escalations.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A minimum 5+ years of experience working in the wireless networking space as described herein.
- BS/MS in a computer related field or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in designing, deploying, configuring, supporting, troubleshooting, debugging and administering Wireless (and Wired) LAN products and technologies.
- Understanding of RF transmissions & antenna behavior.
- Technical expertise in resolving WIFI and Layer 2/3 issues.
- An excellent understanding of WLAN Security in the areas of authentication, encryption, RADIUS, AAA authentication, EAP, PSK, etc.
- Linux system administration, configuration and scripting experience.
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP, IGMP, and Routing (Layer 2 & 3 communication).
- Programming knowledge with one or more of the following: Python, Golang, Java, C/C++.
- Experience providing support to direct customers, resellers, and field personnel in resolving company product related issues
- Experience working in a support lab environment for problem replication
- Experience documenting the sequence of events related to resolving customer technical issues
- Proficient with analyzing data traces from protocol analyzers and traffic generators such as Spirent and IXIA
- Knowledge of SFDC and JIRA
- Frequent use of mouse and keyboard
- Frequent phone usage
- Occasional lifting up to 10 pounds.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and excellent communication/interpersonal skills to clearly and simply articulate ideas, frame problems and offer solutions.
- Strong communication and presentation skills with the ability to crisply articulate both revolutionary and evolutionary ideas to a variety of audiences including technical or non-technical, C-level executives, network architects and sales engineers.
- Persuasive, encouraging, and motivating.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, partners and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to positively and effectively influence under difficult circumstances.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a high degree of customer satisfaction.
- Ability to drive for results and meet tight deadlines while maintaining a high level of accuracy and attention to details, which will be demonstrated by effectively prioritizing and executing tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Must maintain a professional attitude, demeanor and be highly motivated and self-directed.
- Be able to manage a wide range of priorities and help the team to do the same through effective time management and direct communication.
It is the policy of CommScope to provide Equal Employment Opportunities to all individuals based on merit, qualifications and abilities. CommScope does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, age or any other characteristics as protected by law. Furthermore, this contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals on the basis of disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities.