This job is archived
CommScope Inc., a Fortune 500 broadband communications company, is seeking a Senior Materials Scientist/Engineer. The successful candidate will join the Materials Engineering team at CommScope’s Apex, NC site. He/she will participate in a broad range of materials focused activities from leading technology development projects to material specification, selection and validation to new product development projects as a team member. A successful candidate will have 5-10 years’ experience in material design & selection and will be capable of independently leading material technology development projects.
- Lead materials focused technology development projects
- Interact with product design engineers and product managers to develop material specifications based on product requirements.
- Clarify and understand key requirements of technology, product design and existing process, including opportunities for improvement that can be enabled by material development and/or selection.
- Provide advice and consultation on material selection to product design engineers and advanced development teams.
- Develop functional requirements (including environmental stresses) for materials.
- Coordinate and oversee validation testing of materials for a variety of broadband network applications and operating environments.
- Acquire samples of proposed materials and/or components and produce (or arrange production of) prototypes, potentially including new/proposed processes.
- Work closely with manufacturing and purchasing organizations to execute on material substitution, replacement and cost reduction projects.
- May execute molding trials in concert with design engineers to prove out selected resins.
- Create vendor specifications for new materials, including CTQ parameters
- Read, interpret and apply relevant industry standards and test methodologies.
- Provide detailed reports documenting development efforts.
- MS or Ph.D in Materials Science or Chemical Engineering (Polymers focus)
- Or BS in same fields with proven track record in Materials Development
- 5-10 years industrial experience with polymeric materials and adhesives
- Hands on experience designing, testing and specifying polymer substrates, films, tapes, coatings and adhesives and the associated converting processes preferred
- Familiarity with environmental degradation of materials and interfaces
- Familiarity with 3D printing materials and techniques
- Polymer melt processing experience such as extrusion, injection molding and other molding processes preferred Experience with silicones, polyurethanes, elastomers a plus
- High mechanical aptitude
- Must be proficient in MS Office
- Domestic and international travel (e.g. Belgium) will be required
- Must be independent, motivated, organized and resourceful
- Must be independent, motivated, organized and resourceful with excellent communication and skills to work with maximum effectiveness within a team