Everyone communicates. It’s the essence of the human experience. How we communicate is evolving. Technology is reshaping the way we live, learn and thrive. The epicenter of this transformation is the network—our passion.
Our experts are rethinking the purpose, role and usage of networks to help our customers increase bandwidth, expand capacity, enhance efficiency, speed deployment and simplify migration. From remote cell sites to massive sports arenas, from
busy airports to state-of-the-art data centers—we provide the essential expertise and vital infrastructure your business needs to succeed. The world’s most advanced networks rely on CommScope connectivity.
CommScope is hiring a Senior level Global Automation Engineer in Catawba, NC working in the Network Cable & Connectivity (NCC) business unit. This position will work within the Global Manufacturing Engineering organization to be a key member on a cross functional team. Majority of focus spent on Product Transfer Process (PTP) activities which consists heavily of relocating or copying manufacturing lines and automation cells across NCC facilities globally. This role will also serve as a key member in advancing the automation strategy for NCC by creating and implementing automation solutions and managing projects of external integrators that are building solutions on our behalf.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Contribute to the creation and execution of automation strategy for the NCC business unit
- Primary interface to manage 3rd party distributors & integrators that are executing on automation projects
- Create statements of work, budgets, timelines, resource plans and risk mitigation plans for automation projects then manage yourself and team to those boundaries
- Transfer or duplicate manufacturing lines from one manufacturing location to another
- Design, program, debug and install automation cells & manufacturing lines. Typical aspects would include:
- Development of electrical schematics, panel layouts and bill of materials (BOM)
- PLC Programming – Primarily Allen-Bradley, Siemens, or Parker
- Robotics Programming – FANUC, Motoman, ABB or UR robots
- Vision Systems – Typically Cognex, Keyence or Micro Scan
- Integration across components (vision, PLC, robots, HMI)
- Machine safety and emergency stop systems
- Communication protocols for distributed I/O such as Ethernet IP, ProfiNET, EtherCAT
- Works with minimal supervision but initiates appropriate action to clarify design requirements, parameters, objectives and interpretation of assignments.
- Mentors, coaches and trains others on new and transferred technology
- Champions internal processes
- Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering discipline
- 8 years’ experience programming industrial electrical control systems
- Prior experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Must have PLC or Vision or Robotics programing experience and willingness to train on areas of gaps
- Interpretation and creation of electrical schematics and P&I diagrams
- Strong project management competency and experience with large scale projects.
- Experience working with 3rd party vendors, creating SOW, sending RFQ, decision analysis on quotes received and vendor selection
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated team player
- Ability to travel 50% of the time including international. Travel could be higher depending on project needs
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering
- 10 years’ experience programming PLC/Vision/Robotics
- Servo Drive Programming Experience
- Knowledgeable in CE compliancy, NEC, and NFPA 79
- Six Sigma belt certifications
- Customer service oriented
- Systems knowledge such as MES, SAP and IoT 4.0
- Bilingual, English/Spanish
It is the policy of CommScope to provide Equal Employment Opportunities to all individuals based on merit, qualifications and abilities. CommScope does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, age or any other characteristics as protected by law. Furthermore, this contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals on the basis of disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities.