Everyone communicates. It’s the essence of the human experience. How we communicate is evolving. Technology is reshaping the way we live, learn and thrive. The epicenter of this transformation is the network—our passion. Our experts are rethinking the purpose, role and usage of networks to help our customers increase bandwidth, expand capacity, enhance efficiency, speed deployment and simplify migration. From remote cell sites to massive sports arenas, from busy airports to state-of-the-art data centers— we provide the essential expertise and vital infrastructure your business needs to succeed. The world’s most advanced networks rely on CommScope connectivity.
CommScope is hiring a Principal System Performance Engineer in Lowell, MA
As a member of the System Performance team, you will be responsible for improving the performance and customer experience of our small cell products. More specifically, you will work on Live Air Verification (LAV) activities to define test plans, execute test cases and perform detailed analysis of the data to qualify and improve the performance and quality of 4G LTE and 5G NR small cell products. You will also be responsible for closely monitoring and analyzing the performance of our product in customer trials and deployments and help resolve critical performance issues.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Define Test strategy and perform Live Air Verification (LAV) tests for new 4G LTE and 5G NR Commscope small cell products
- Deep dive Operational measurements (OM), KPI and log analysis of LAV and customer field data and deployments
- SW and HW maintenance of LAV network with real users
- Validation and optimization of new algorithms and features
- Carry out performance case studies
- Perform RF and parameter optimization to drive KPI and KCI improvements
- Review RF and Capacity design of customer deployments using Commscope Small Cell products
- Work with technical support in resolving customer performance issues
- Review product and feature requirements
- Work with QA and SIT teams on devising and reviewing test plans.
- Contribute to and review architecture and design specifications.
- Review and provide feedback on technical documents written throughout the organization.
- Propose new, creative solutions for tough, system-wide problems.
- Produce white papers and technical memorandums for customers and for internal teams.
- Continually evaluate, influence and advance internal design efforts to improve product development processes and ensure carrier-class quality.
- Bachelors Degree preferably in Electrical or Computer Engineering with 12+ years of experience or Masters Degree preferably in Electrical or Computer Engineering with 8+ years of experience.
Required Skills & Knowledge:
- Experience working through system performance (5+ years) and product development life cycle of LTE and 5G eNB and/or UE products at infrastructure OEM or LTE chipset vendors
- Strong Subject matter expertise (SME) in LTE, 5G NR, VoLTE and 3GPP standards.
- In-depth knowledge of Phy, MAC, RLC, PDCP, RRC and NAS layer protocols
- Expert-level end-to-end analysis capabilities of UE side logs (e.g QXDM), LTE vendor eNB logs, Wireshark logs and core network logs.
- Proven track record for testing, deep dive troubleshooting and solving complex real world cellular network and handset issues
- Broad knowledge of systems engineering concepts (definition and analysis for requirements, performance and capacity)
- Experience in resolving critical and challenging RAN system performance issues seen in real world operator networks
- Expert-level understanding and analysis of Operational measurements (OMs) to monitor and improve Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Desired/Nice to have Skills & Knowledge:
- Technical leadership in end-to-end system performance of Radio Access Networks (RAN)
- Expertise in IP and related technologies including IPv4, IPv6, IPSEC, Routing protocols, Networking protocols, Security Protocols, SIP.
- Experience with scripting languages like TCL, Perl, Python for test automation desirable
- Familiarity with Element Management Systems.
It is the policy of CommScope to provide Equal Employment Opportunities to all individuals based on merit, qualifications and abilities. CommScope does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, age or any other characteristics as protected by law. Furthermore, this contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals on the basis of disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities.