Everyone communicates. It’s the essence of the human experience. How we communicate is evolving. Technology is reshaping the way we live, learn and thrive. The epicenter of this transformation is the network—our passion. Our experts are rethinking the purpose, role and usage of networks to help our customers increase bandwidth, expand capacity, enhance efficiency, speed deployment and simplify migration. From remote cell sites to massive sports arenas, from busy airports to state-of-the-art data centers— we provide the essential expertise and vital infrastructure your business needs to succeed. The world’s most advanced networks rely on CommScope connectivity.
We are recruiting for a qualified, interested and available Senior Mechanical Engineer for an opportunity located in Richardson, TX.
Performs design and development in such areas as electro/mechanical design of radio/antenna products. This includes development of MCAD database, thermal design, weatherproofing, mounting feature design, structural analysis, EMI/EMC design knowledge, and design for assembly. Conducts tolerance analysis to see design validity. The radio/antenna products are primarily electro-mechanical and have high demand for reliability and design integrity in severe environments.
This position is part of a cross functional team and the incumbent is expected to take design input from electrical, mechanical and software engineers to arrive at multi-discipline design solutions. The successful candidate will perform thermal and structural simulations and knowledge/experience with ANSYS or similar MCAE tools. The candidate may direct support personnel in the preparation of detailed design, design testing, and prototype fabrication. Additionally, given the cross functional and globally diverse nature of the engineering team, the candidate should be comfortable and be able to thrive in such an environment and work seamlessly with teams across various engineering functions and global geographies.
The following are further expectations of this role. Establish specifications and written test plans including the development of test procedures to verify engineering designs is integral to the position. Partner with Electrical, Testing, and Manufacturing Engineers, assists in development of Process Flow Charts (PFC) and Process Control Plans to ensure reproducibility and repeatable of final products. Implement principles of six sigma (DFSS and DMAIC) during the design cycle to meet the desired cost and performance targets.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a Technical Discipline from an accredited university, MSME preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) plus years of work experience involving the use of Mechanical Engineering principles and practices.
- Experience in designing assemblies for medium or high volume electronic devices.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, i.e., injection molding, die casting, CNC, machining, extrusion, 3D printing, cable/harness design, and sheet metal is required.
- Experience in conducting design reviews with suppliers prior to tool launch is required.
- Familiar with PCB materials, PCB assemblies, and IPC standards.
- Experience in taking design projects from concept to production using a stage-gate PDP process preferably.
- Working knowledge on ANSI Y14.5 and GD&T principles.
- Must be knowledgeable of assembly processes, i.e., ultrasonic welding, screws, adhesives and rivets.
- Must have in depth experience in material and component selection.
- Experience with SolidWorks 3D modeling software package.
- SAP experience preferred.
- Ability to conduct structural and thermal simulations using Solidworks and ANSYS ICEPAK (or equivalent) is required.
- Design experience with thermal management techniques and thermal architecture selection strongly preferred.
- Experience and deep understanding of statistical tolerance Analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Design for Assembly (DFA) and Consumer-Focused Design (CFD) is a must.
- Experience designing remote radio heads and base station antenna product is preferred
- Must possess good oral/written communication skills. Can clearly articulate reasons for decision making.
- Requires the ability to regularly contact, influence and negotiate with both internal and external stakeholders on complex engineering issues.
- “Hands on” skills with working on prototypes with project team members in a lab environment.
- Must be able to respond to inquiries and complaints with tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with experience in root cause analysis techniques.
- Demonstrates skills of functional/executional excellence including planning, risk assessment/mitigation and project goal setting and driving for results.
It is the policy of CommScope to provide Equal Employment Opportunities to all individuals based on merit, qualifications and abilities. CommScope does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, age or any other characteristics as protected by law. Furthermore, this contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals on the basis of disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities.